20 January 2009

Crazy Weather/Cookouts

It is very interesting how the weather changes here. And, it is unusual how differently the public is affected by the weather. Since we have been living here we have probably had a dozen days where we accumulated at least 6 inches of snow. There was not a single one of those days where they closed the schools down for a “snow day”. For two weeks straight we had been having temperatures that had not reached more than -10 degrees. Then, on Wednesday the temperature reached 40 degrees and it was raining outside……and the schools were closed for the day. The school got closed for three days in a row because the temperatures were too warm. And with the combination of warm temps and rain the roads were rather icy. It was strange for schools to be closed due to warm temps and rain, rather then snow days. Quite different from the lower 48. When I was in school (which wasn’t very often since I home schooled a lot)…but when I was, even if it snowed only an inch or two we usually got a “snow day”. Schools would be closed way too often here if they closed down for an inch of snow!

It has been so fun living in a new place and learning how things are done differently in a city where the weather is extremely different from any other place I have ever lived! Yesterday while we were at Wal-Mart we overheard a guy say, "Man this weather feels just like summer. I can't believe it's so warm this time of year". It was 36 degrees outside.

With this warm weather we decided to have a cookout on our back patio. Matt grilled chicken...it was fun having a cookout in the cold weather...made us feel like true Alaskans.



The view from our patio just before the sun went down



Matt getting the grill ready...and keeping warm

3 comments:

Kara said...

your mom told me about the schools canceling because of warmer weather. that is soo funny, crazy, weird, etc!

i cracked up at the comment about it being summer weather at 36 degrees! ha!

the picture from your deck is absolutely beautiful! i might get a print of it for our house!

Meagan said...

Umm..WOW! Look at that view! Are you kidding me? That is beautiful.
I'm so glad you get to live in such a beautiful place and be reminded of God's wonderous creation every day. I'm also glad you're having fun!

Candy said...

That view is incredible!!! Absolutely astounding. I can't imagine having that kind of scenery out my back door. Drink it in for all of us and keep sharing the pics. I keep up with your weather on my phone. It always amazes me. It's supposed to be 81 here today and 83 tomorrow. CRAZY!

Little Rock 10k and Half Marathon

 We say that we were going to Little Rock for the 10k and the half marathon races, but in reality, that is not entirely true. We used the ra...