06 September 2011

Weekend Hunt


 We got up at 3:15am to head out for the hunting trip. We met up with Andy and Nic (two guys that Matthew works with) and drove about 3 hours north to Eureka. We got to see this gorgeous sun rise on the way. Although, I slept most of the way because I got home from work around 1:00am....so I'd only had a couple of hours of sleep :)

Once we got off the main road the guys would stop every mile or so and look for moose/caribou.

I, however, stayed in the jeep mostly because I was freezing!! I was inside my sleeping back in the jeep most of the morning because the heater in the jeep wasn't working that great.

At this point we had driven about 15-16 miles back into the tundra....and Matt's jeep got stuck. Andy and Nic were both on 4-wheelers and attempted to pull him out with no success. We then spent about two hours using Matt's jack to jack the jeep up and gathered branches and brush to put underneath the tires to try to get the jeep out of the deep mud a bit.


The jeep almost tipped over a couple of times while jacking it up because it was so off balance because the right tires were buried so deep! But we did finally get it out after about 2.5 hours of work.
The first morning we awoke to frost everywhere! It was rather cold that first night!

Just a little Alaskan traffic jam....






We ate lots of Mountain House meals. Yummmmm :)

Getting the caribou ready to transport it out of wilderness into our freezers :) We were about 40 miles back in the tundra at this point.





All in all it was a great trip. Matt and I had a blast hanging out and we are very excited to eat some caribou meat. I will definitely go hunting with Matt again if I get the chance!

4 comments:

Krystal said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Krystal said...

SO COOL!
That sunrise is amazing...you and Matt are too cute...that caribou's antlers are huge! Love it all :)

Jessica said...

Holy smokes - that is one big animal! What adventures you two are having in the Alaskan wilderness. :)

Marianke said...

Oh my goodness! You brave woman! Haha! I hope to be able to do this one day....if Jon will ever go hunting. Looks like a lot of fun! And awesome you guys got a caribou! :)

Little Rock 10k and Half Marathon

 We say that we were going to Little Rock for the 10k and the half marathon races, but in reality, that is not entirely true. We used the ra...