28 June 2009

Heather's Visit to Alaska

So, I have decided that I think everyone should visit Alaska at least twice in their lives. Once in the winter and once in the summer. These two seasons are so very different and extreme. And... they are so amazingly beautiful in their own unique way, that I believe everyone should see God's amazing beauty here! I am still being constantly amazed by the beauty and mystery of this great place.

Heather was able to come for a short visit during the time that she should have been moving. She finished with work in Baltimore last Tuesday and she starts work in Burmingham on Wednesday. So, instead of moving all of her stuff and getting settled in a new city before starting work, she decided to come see me! It was so great to see her!
Heather and me trying to stay warm on the boat tour. It was pretty windy, rainy, and cold...but still fun!

A beluga whale.


One of the many beautiful views we saw on the boat tour.

A sea lion.

Some sea otters.



One of the glaciers we saw along the way. Lots of ice was floating everywhere in the water!

On our way up north to go fishing.


Heather and the tiny fish she caught. So we didn't catch any big fish...but we did learn to fly fish a little...and it was fun!

Matthew and my friend Cory took Heather and I fishing. On our little hike to the river to fish we found these caribu antlers.

Even though it was summer, we did need quite a few layers to keep warm!
The sunset. This picture was taken at just past midnight! The sunset usually starts at about 9:00pm and last until about 1:00am these days. Four hour sunsets are pretty amazing!
As I said, it was so fun to have Heather here! I hadn't seen her since Matt and my wedding in October. So it was great to get to hang out!

4 comments:

erin f. said...

You two both look beautiful and I'm glad you got some time together! Tell Heather hello for me, I haven't seen her in forever!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures from a beautiful girl!
God bless you!
Love you,
Krystal Cooley

Candy said...

oh my gosh! A four hour sunset!! Amazing!! And all that wildlife! Soak it in Sarah! This is astonishing. I'm so glad the two of you got to see each other. What a duo.

Shannon Burton said...

I want to come for a four hour sunset!! Absolutely amazing.....love, shannon

Little Rock 10k and Half Marathon

 We say that we were going to Little Rock for the 10k and the half marathon races, but in reality, that is not entirely true. We used the ra...